Uncategorized

Stenin International Press Photo Contest Opens for Entries

https://stenincontest.com/ MOSCOW (Sputnik) – The 10th annual Andrei Stenin International Press Photo Contest opened for entries on Friday to coincide with the birthday of Rossiya Segodnya photojournalist Andrei Stenin, who was killed on duty in Donbas in 2014. The contest is an annual competition organized by Rossiya Segodnya media group to discover young talent among photojournalists aged 18 to 33. Sputnik news agency and radio is its international media partner. “We are very pleased to launch the 10th anniversary competition, a tribute to our colleague and war correspondent Andrei Stenin. Over 10 years, it has become a truly multinational platform for young and talented photographers who are not afraid to take risks, look for new angles and express their opinions in a bright and unbiased manner,” Oksana Oleinik, the contest’s curator, said. The contest’s anniversary edition comes with updates. A new category, “View From Above,” has been added to the existing four — “Top News,” “Sports,” “My Planet,” and “Portrait. A Hero of Our Time.” It will encourage contestants to explore a new visual perspective with a focus on unconventional subjects and settings. The top prize is 700,000 rubles ($7,588). The first, second and third places in the contest will fetch 125,000 rubles, 100,000 rubles and 75,000 rubles, respectively.

Stenin International Press Photo Contest Opens for Entries Read More »

End of MONUSCO: UN Delegation Visits DRC to Prepare for Mission Withdrawal

The planned withdrawal of the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) was the focus of a UN delegation’s visit to the Central African country last week. During a multi-day visit to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the head of the UN peacekeeping operations, Jean-Pierre Lacroix, stressed the importance of ensuring that the transfer of responsibilities to the Congolese authorities takes place in parallel with the development of their security forces, the mission said in a press release. “It is essential that the transfer of responsibility for security and the protection of civilians takes place at the same time as MONUSCO withdraws from certain sensitive areas where peacekeepers ensure the physical safety of several hundred thousand civilians,” the Under-Secretary-General for Peace Operations said. The DRC government had requested an accelerated withdrawal of the UN mission in the country from the end of 2023. Sub-Saharan Africa Uganda’s Museveni Blasts UN as Guilty of ‘Terrorism Conservation’ in DRC Last December, the UN Security Council decided to extend MONUSCO’s mandate until December 20, 2024. In a resolution, the UN executive body also decided to initiate the mission’s “gradual, responsible, sustainable withdrawal” from the country and to gradually transfer its responsibilities to the Congolese authorities. Under the new resolution, MONUSCO will maintain a maximum authorized strength of 13,500 military personnel, 660 military observers and staff officers, 591 police officers, and 1,410 members of formed police units until June 30, 2024. As of July 1, 2024, these numbers will be reduced to 11,500 military personnel, 600 military observers and staff officers, 443 police officers, and 1,270 members of formed police units, according to the UN Security Council.

End of MONUSCO: UN Delegation Visits DRC to Prepare for Mission Withdrawal Read More »

In Tune with ImpulsRadioAfrica